Archive for 2006

Second Annual pfSense Hackathon – Call for Donations

Friday, July 7th, 2006

The second annual pfSense Hackathon is coming up in two weeks. Scott, Bill, Holger, and myself (Chris) will be attending for sure, with potentially other developers making the trip as well. Only pfSense committers are invited to attend this event.

What’s a hackathon? See Wikipedia’s Hackathon entry.

Scott, Bill, and Holger will mostly be working on wrapping up the 1.0 release, as well as new development in HEAD (1.1). I will be working mostly on upgrading the servers that host all our web sites as well as the sites for several other open source projects including m0n0wall.

We have purchased some new drives and will also be adding some RAM to the servers, as well as migrating one of them from FreeBSD 4.11 to 6.1 (with the other already on 6.1, but I’ll be replacing the RAID controller).

Hardware Needs
If you have any PC100 or PC133 registered ECC SDRAM (must be registered ECC) or SCSI hard drives 73 GB or larger you would be willing to contribute, please email me. We have purchased enough drives to do the upgrades, and have some RAM on hand, but could really use more. Both our servers, one with 2 GB and one with 1 GB RAM, are swapping to disk now (running numerous jails), so any contributions will really help boost performance of all our sites.

Monetary Contributions
As always, you can send monetary contributions to paypal at chrisbuechler dot com, which will cover hardware costs, other project expenses (domain costs, etc.), and food, coffee and beer for the hackathon attendees.

Open source works well when everyone contributes what they can – be it hardware, money, time helping support users, code, documentation, etc. Please do what you can to support the project. Thanks very much for your continued support!

1.0 release canidate 1

Friday, June 16th, 2006

We are extremely proud to announce that 1.0 – release canidate 1 has been released.

Read more about it on Bill’s blog. Change log available here.

Thanks to everyone involved that helped us get to this point. It has been a very long time in the making and we are very happy with the turnout.

BSDCan 2006 wrapup

Saturday, May 20th, 2006

BSDCan 2006 was an overwhelming success!

During this time we met many of the key developers of the FreeBSD project, drank a lot of beer and got a lot of major issues solved!

Among these issues where the dreaded pptp bug that has been an issue for a long time. Someone just happened to commit a fix during the conference.

Also among the fixes where to PF. A printf() was present that OpenBSD did not have and was giving ticket X != X errors in the system logs. Thanks to Max Laier who jumped right in to help when I asked him about why we where seeing these errors. It also happens to show a bug in PFTPX (we think).

In addition to meeting a lot of great people we (Chris Buechler and myself) gave a talk on pfSense and m0n0wall. There where about 55 people present for the talk and it seems like it went really well.

Also during the FreeBSD developer summit Dario and I gave a talk on FreeSBIE. During the talk Dario’s laptop shut down. Needless to say much talk in IRC was about FreeSBIE being dead. Other than the small mishap there was many great questions asked and FreeSBIE seems to be a hit among the FreeBSD developer crowd.

All in all BSDCan has been a great blast for the last 2 years. I highly recommend going next year. Meanwhile I’ll be dreaming up my next topic (if they accept it) for BSDCan 2007.

 

Interview with BSDTalk

Thursday, May 4th, 2006

I was recently interviewed on BSDTalk. Check it out!!

pfSense at BSDCan 2006 – Call for Donations

Tuesday, May 2nd, 2006

If you haven’t heard yet, pfSense and m0n0wall will be presented at BSDCan this year by Scott and myself. We’ll also be attending the FreeBSD Developer Summit. This is not a cash-laden conference though, so Scott and I have agreed to provide for our own airfare to Ottawa.

We’re asking for donations so as little as possible of this expense will have to come out of our pockets. I will immediately post a follow up here if we do receive enough donations to cover our expenses.

This is a great opportunity for us to network with the FreeBSD developers, and will certainly help make this project better. Thanks for your continued support!

Edit: Might help if I tell you how to donate. :) You can send PayPal to paypal@chrisbuechler.com, or email me for alternate means of payment.

Beta 3 is here!

Monday, April 17th, 2006

Beta 3 is here and this is a summary of all changes since beta 2 from cvstrac. Download from www.pfsense.com!

Change log is posted here. 

And Bill has written up a summary of changes on his Blog.

Beginning of pfSense devStudio

Thursday, March 23rd, 2006

I have began writing some docs on CoreGUI and how it works. For those of you that do not know, CoreGUI is a XML->webConfigurator framework that makes it a snap to create pfSense forms and such. For more info check the wiki.

To make it even easier and try to spur more development I decided to start writing a kickstart like application allowing Developers to rapidly create their forms to get started with CoreGUI.

Check out the early alpha prototype and be sure to use FireFox at CoreGUIBuilder.

This is a extremely early preview to gather comments. There are a number of small glitches but looks like a pretty good start for the pfSense developers studio.

New commiters!

Tuesday, March 21st, 2006

We would like to welcome two new commiters to pfSense!

Leon Dennis which is helping clean up the traffic shaper and other misc items.

Fernando Lemos which has added base64 options to the package system and also is rewriting OpenVPN in native CoreGUI (our XML to webGUI framework).

Please stop by the irc channel and welcome Leoandru and Fernandotcl!!

Wow, what a neat box!

Tuesday, March 7th, 2006

Playing around with a new appliance that I just obtained (Thanks LinITX.com!).

Plugged in a URAL miniPCI card and a pfSense beta2 embedded compact flash card and fired it up and it works great! And fast!

Highly recommend this box, it works great!

Check out this appliance and the other products that LinITX.com sells if you are in the market for a new appliance!

1.0 BETA 2 released!

Friday, March 3rd, 2006

Fixes include:

  1. Do not show WOL as a service in Status -> Services
  2. Do not display filter rule if we cannot extract protocol under diagnostics -> filter logs
  3. Install NAT entries for static routes when advanced outbound is disabled
  4. Query SNMP over VPN fix (bind to lan ip only option)
  5. Print out list of physical interfaces above VLAN interfaces during assignment
  6. Read the rest of this entry »