2.4 pre-alpha snapshots now available.
pfSense® software version 2.4 pre-alpha snapshots are now available.
pfSense 2.4 will use FreeBSD 11 as a base, and 11.0-RELEASE has not yet occurred. There will be additional work to use 11.0-RELEASE as a base.
More work at “reduction of technical debt” is occurring in 2.4. We have decided to not carry forward the kernel patches for Captive Portal. Instead, it is being re-written to use stock IPFW. That work is only about 75% complete. MPD4 needs to be converted to MPD5. Simultaneously to these, work is occurring to convert several subsystems (e.g. radius) to use the PEAR equivalents:
- We now use pear-XML_RPC2. As a result of the rework, you can now set a username field in HA settings to connect to the other HA partner. Previously this was always ‘admin’. The previous xmlrpc, inc, xmprpc_client.inc and xmprpc_server.inc have been removed.
- We removed a hack used to sort extensions.ini
- We removed static IPv6.inc and started using pear-Net_IPv6
- We removed static CHAP.inc and started using pear-Crypt_CHAP from ports
- We removed static PEAR.inc and started using pear from ports
- We removed static smtp.inc and started using pear-Mail
- We converted the code from notices.inc to use pear-Mail since smtp.inc was deprecated
- We removed static _sasl_client.inc and sasl.inc that were used by smtp.inc
- We removed the former static growl.class and started using pear-Net_Growl
There appears to be a bug in pf (likely due to the interaction of one of our patches). This only manifests under high usage.
Outstanding bugs/features/todo items:
* Everything else
We advise that you do not use this on a production system yet. If you have the time and interest, we encourage you to try this on a scratch system or VM and provide feedback for any issues you find.