pfSense book now available for purchase!
NOTE: We no longer recommend the 2009 print version of the book, being based on the 1.2.3 version, it is largely obsolete at this point. The pfSense Book, immediately available for Gold Subscribers and as a stand alone, is a living digital copy of the book that is continually updated. It’s the recommended version for everyone, as it has been greatly expanded and updated.
Finally, comprehensive documentation for pfSense is available in print!
Authored by pfSense co-founder Chris Buechler and pfSense developer Jim Pingle, The Definitive Guide to pfSense covers installation and basic configuration through advanced networking and firewalling of the popular open source firewall and router distribution.
This book is designed to be a friendly step-by-step guide to common networking and security tasks, plus a thorough reference of pfSense’s capabilities. The Definitive Guide to pfSense covers the following topics:
- An introduction to pfSense and its features.
- Hardware and system planning.
- Installing and upgrading pfSense.
- Using the web-based configuration interface.
- Backup and restoration.
- Firewalling fundamentals and defining and troubleshooting rules.
- Port forwarding and Network Address Translation.
- General networking and routing configuration.
- Bridging, Virtual LANs (VLANs), and Multi-WAN.
- Virtual Private Networks using IPsec, PPTP, and OpenVPN.
- Traffic shaping and load balancing.
- Wireless networking and captive portal setups.
- Redundant firewalls and High Availability.
- Various network related services.
- System monitoring, logging, traffic analysis, sniffing, packet capturing, and troubleshooting.
- Software package and third-party software installations and upgrades.
At the end of this book, you’ll find a menu guide with the standard menu choices available in pfSense and a detailed index.
Thanks for your support!